Saturday 13 March 2010

My first abscess


Poor little Max had an abscess. I thought he had broken a leg, he was so incredibly lame! Turns out he is just a complete sook and like a typical male, can't cope with any pain. I had never seen a horse with an abscess before and now I know why they say they are hard to miss. That is the most lame I have ever seen a horse and I'd be happy not to see that again.


I read up my barefoot books and stood him to soak in some warm epsom salt solution.
He was incredibly good about this, considering how green he is, and stood pretty well in the little foot bath.

Hmmmmm...


Could I drink this?

Unfortunately, that's when the standing nicely ended. He got a sip of epsom salts, shot backwards away from it and knocked over the tub. Ah, well, it got a bit of a soak. Then on with a poultice, bandage and good ol' duck tape to hold it on. A few days later, the abscess burst and he was okay again.

No comments:

Post a Comment